4.20.2015

Cat Toy Hall of Fame: $5 Cat Toys

Let's pretend you found a 20-dollar bill in the pocket of the jacket you haven't worn since last spring. Surprise! Since you've already paid the bills for the month, you figure that's twenty bucks surplus - why not treat yourself? So you go out for lunch and spend about fifteen dollars on a crazy-good pulled pork sandwich. But at the end of the day you find yourself wondering: What to do with the remaining five dollars???

How about treating your best beloved pet to a new cat toy? (Surely he or she deserves to benefit from this windfall, too.) That's a great idea! And I have some suggestions for you. These toys cost around five dollars and at least one of them is bound to make you a hero at home.

1. Boots & Barkley 4 Desserts Cat Toys. These are available at Target for just $4.99. I bought them because I just could not get over how cute that doughnut is! (At least, I think it's a doughnut.) Doughnuts are probably my second favorite thing - right behind cats, of course. The other desserts are a slice of pie, a chocolate-covered strawberry, and a cupcake. When I brought these toys home, I was a tad disappointed that my cats weren't as excited about the doughnut as I had been. The cupcake caught their attention, but they destroyed it in seconds. But the strawberry! Oh ho, that strawberry has seen a lot of action in this house, so I guess that makes the whole thing worth five bucks.

2. KONG Kitten Mice. These adorable, fuzzy, pastel-colored mice each contain a cellophane pouch of catnip, the sound and smell of which makes them irresistible to junior hunters. They're fairly durable toys; nevertheless, I can't tell you how many of these I went through when Baby was a tyke. He LOVED them. Now he's older and more mature, but we still highly recommend these mice. They are so worth $5.99; you can buy them online or in most pet stores. 





3. National Geographic Wooly Mice. I picked up these toys for $6.99 at PetSmart, seeing that they were similar to the mice from Target that my cats really enjoy. They're a bit bigger, and a little less hardy - they tend to pop up around the house missing tails and ears, but I guess that's as good an indication as any that they were enjoyed. 






4. KONG Naturals Catnip Straw Cylinder. This toy has a unique texture that makes it quite fun, I think. When I adopted Spike, it was one of the toys his foster mom sent with him, insisting he loved it so much. And he DID. But depending on your cat, you might not want to leave it laying around, as the feathers pull out very easily and might be ingested. This toy is available at PetSmart and various online retailers for around $5.50. 





5. Hartz Just for Cats Midnight Crazies. I saved the best for last today! I can't even remember where I first purchased these balls, but now I get them from Amazon for just about $5 (with shipping and handling, closer to seven or eight dollars). But, wow! You get a lot of bang for your buck with these. My cat Baby couldn't care less for them, but Spike LOVES them. There are probably thirty of them scattered throughout the house - under dressers, cabinets, and couches - you know how it is. These slotted plastic balls have a plastic jingle bell inside, and they come in many bright colors. There are a LOT of similar toys on the market, so you might find your cat enjoys those just as well. But I've tried several different types of balls on Spike, and these are hands down his favorite. I believe it's the way his teeth lock into the slots of these balls - the way they're cut is not the same as most of the 'lattice'-type balls you'll see in grocery stores. After chasing them all over the kitchen, Spike really enjoys carrying them around in his mouth like freshly caught prey. He goes crazy for them! Sometimes at midnight. Just like the name suggests.


So, the next time you have an extra five dollars on hand and would like to treat your cat, consider trying one of these great toys. My cats can vouch that these toys are a lot of fun. And if you ever happen to be in Gasport, New York, I also know a place you can get one of those crazy-good pulled pork sandwiches.

No comments:

Post a Comment