4.08.2015

Cat Toy Hall of Fame: Cheap Cat Toys

In my previous post I showed you just some of the cat toys you can make at home for free. Today I want to highlight five cat toys that are less than $5 apiece (read: CHEAP!). Now, I always say 'You get what you pay for,' so these toys certainly aren't going to last forever. But if you try them and your cats love them as much as mine do, I think you'll agree it balances out. So here we go!

1. Laser toy. Lasers are no longer avant-garde technology, so you can actually find keychain laser pointers for cheap at a dollar store or super center near you. This particular toy is specifically marketed as a pet toy; you can find it at Ace Hardware for $2.29, but it often goes on sale for $1. Now, not ALL cats enjoy chasing a laser, as a rule, but many younger cats, especially, will go bananas for it. It's a fantastic way to exercise your cat without having to move much yourself. Experts recommend tossing your cats a real toy throughout the chase, so they have something to 'catch.' A reward with a few treats after playtime is always nice, too. 


2. Grreat Choice Feather Tailed Catnip Mouse. I call these "mouskies", because they're so furry they must be from Russia. They are very inexpensive ($1.19), and can be purchased from the bulk toy bins at PetSmart or online. They feature a tail of feathers and rattles inside. Make sure you pick one that rattles really good. My cat Baby has always really enjoyed these mice, though he prefers the grey color over the tan color in the picture. 

3. Grreat Choice Crinkle Ball. Some cats love the crinkly sound of these foil balls, which can also be found in the bulk toy bins at PetSmart for only 0.99 - so cheap you can go ahead and buy a few. Pick some that aren't too flattened - the ball shape makes it perfect for tossing and rolling.

4. Big Ol' Catnip Sack. In store, I have only been able to find these at Pet Supplies Plus, and there may not be one of those near you. But you can buy them online at various sites for around $3.  Two things I love about this toy: one, the catnip is very potent, and two, the canvas construction is quite durable. My outdoor cat Ollie adores this toy - he slobbers all over it until the whole sack has turned green. You probably don't need to buy this specific catnip pouch. There are plenty on the market, and you may even be able to find someone locally who makes them by hand. But I recommend this one because my cats seems to prefer it over any others I've tried. 

5. SmartyKat Skitter Critters Catnip Mice. I buy these at Target in packs of three for $1.97, but they are also available online from various retailers. They used to be made of a canvas-type material; now they're made of a furry cloth, but no matter! The cats love them anyhow. Their small compact bodies fit perfectly in a cat's mouth, just like a real mouse. They feature twine tails, sewn eyes, and fabric ears, which in my experience have never fallen off, so extra points for durability. My cats will play fetch with these mice for a long while, up until they push them out of reach under the sofa, which I'm sad to say is the fate of most of their toys. 


These are my recommendations for cheap cat toys, one tier up from free. There are SO many cat toys on the market that you may find many others. It's important to experiment and find the toys that really get your cats excited for playtime, and since most of these only cost a dollar or two, how could you go wrong???

No comments:

Post a Comment